A Civil Approach To Florida Family Law

  1. Home
  2.  → 
  3. Family Law
  4.  → Divorce

Helping People Make Good Decisions During Divorce

Last updated on November 19, 2023

The emotions surrounding divorce can lead you to take actions that may not be in your best interests. Whether it is a rash decision about custody or a drawn out fight over the marital assets, you want to avoid these situations when possible.

An experienced and compassionate attorney can protect your interests by helping you focus on your goals: protecting your assets and your relationships with your children. At Russell G. Marlowe, PA, you will find knowledgeable, caring legal counsel that will help you make sound, informed decisions throughout the process.

Before you file, it’s important to consider alternatives such as marriage counseling. If there is a way to save your marriage, I will point you to resources to help you do that. In addition, mediation is required in many Florida counties before you can file for divorce or for any motions related to divorce, such as child support or attorney fees.

Will You Pay Or Receive Alimony/Spousal Support?

In Florida, there are two types of alimony: permanent and durational. Durational alimony is alimony that typically lasts for as long as you were married.

Conversely, the court may award permanent alimony, depending on the length of your marriage and other factors such as:

  • If your marriage lasted less than seven years, there is no presumption for awarding permanent alimony.
  • If you were married for seven to 17 years, it depends on the facts of your case.
  • If you were married for over 17 years, there is a presumption for awarding alimony to the party with lower assets and earnings.

It is important to plan for divorce so you know how it will affect you financially. I can guide you through this process.

Talk To A Lawyer Who Will Explain Your Options To You

I take the time to clearly explain your options and your rights in divorce. If you leave a message or email me, you can typically expect me to reply within a day. With offices in Port New Richey and Lutz, I am able to serve people throughout Pasco and Hillsborough counties, as well as the surrounding counties. Please call 727-490-8877 or email me today for your initial consultation.

/*---------A11y retrofit code----------------*/